31 July 2011

Reader Under The Spotlight - Anita

My name is Anita & I'm addicted to stationery...

When I'm not reading about filofaxes, I can be found doing the accounts for a petsitting/dogwalking franchise business, seeing my shiatsu clients (a Japanese complementary therapy) or throwing people around (whilst doing a martial art called aikido).

You can read my filofax blog posts here (more to come!) or see what I'm up to on Twitter here.

1. When did you buy your first Filofax and what was it?

I bought my first Filofax in 2009, which was a cherry personal Classic. Once it was delivered I was hooked!

2. What other brands have you used or considered using?

I've only used Filofax, but as a compulsive window-shopper I've considered Succes, Day Timer & many others.

3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

My wonderful crimson personal Malden. My cherry Classic sadly developed some strange creasing & cracking to the leather, & Filofax kindly offered to replace it even though I hadn't bought it from them. After reading all the Malden enabling posts, I decided I had to have one & got Filofax to send me a Malden as my replacement instead.

4. How many Filofax organisers do you own?

Two, but soon to be one - I would imagine the majority of Philofaxy readers own more! I recently decided to become a one-filofax woman, partly to cut down on my possessions & also as the other filos were no match for my magic Malden. I have owned my cherry Classic as mentioned, a purple Finsbury mini & a chocolate mini Cross. I sold both the minis on eBay & am also now selling my personal Kendal.

5. What do you use your Filofax for?

I'm a Getting Things Done & Zen Habits fan, so I use it to keep all next actions, MITs (most important tasks) & details of projects/goals in one place. It's also used for notes, inspirational quotes, sudoku & reading (I pulled apart a couple of small books & hole-punched them).

6. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?


The flexibility of being able to move things around compared to normal notebooks, & how gorgeous they are.

7. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

A holder for my iPod touch. I love purple, so more in this colour would be great.

8. How do you carry your Filofax?

It stays on my desk next to my PC most of the time, but I have started taking it out with me more recently in my red leather Saccoo bag or my Ellie spotty Old Bag.

9. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?


I'm a real Malden fan, so I'm trying not to look at the other sizes or colours. Umm, no. Well, not for the time being!

10. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax? Which model?

I spent £41.00 on my cherry personal Classic, which I was very pleased to get in a sale.

11. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?


Lots of lovely info about filofaxes & that it feels like a community. It's one of the websites I visit the most often.

12. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?


To copy Rori's excellent answer - 'this is a trick question, right?'

13. What was the last music album CD you bought or downloaded?


Wasting Light by the Foo Fighters.


Thank you Anita.... and before you ask, no you don't have to be a crimson Malden owner to appear in this series!

13 comments:

  1. Hi Anita! Another crimson Malden - aren't they absolutely gorgeous?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita and thank you for an interesting post.

    I was interested in your decision to cut down your possessions....are you following the current 'minimalist' movement, or is this based on some concern with consumerism? I can recommend the book 'Timeless Simplicity' by John Lane. Goo luck with your cutting down, from a fellow-sympathiser!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anita,
    That's a really interesting post - thank you. I also enjoyed reading the Zen To Done e-book, and I've since got Leo Babauta's minimalist guide. By a cruel irony it's queued behind all the other books I intend reading. A post on how you've integrated ZTD with the Filofax would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gerard

    It seems we have even more in common than we first thought or discovered, since I'm also interested in ZTD and Leo Babauta's writings :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey anita! i tried a long long time ago to do akido - i love the tumbling and the simplistic beauty of redirecting energy. heh heh i would love to someday purge most possessions i don't need - very very long and painstaking process, but one of these days it will happen. nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, thanks for your comments & I really enjoyed being able to contribute to the site!

    @ terriknits - yes, they are gorgeous :)

    @ David Popely - when I was growing up, our house was always a fun & chaotic place. I decided I didn't want the chaos when I was grown up & this has meant I've become interested in minimalism, & also I hate the idea of waste or buying needless things that take resources to make & then recycle or go into landfill! Spooky, that book is already on my Amazon wishlist, thanks :)

    @ Gerard - thanks, I'm going to start putting together some ideas for more blog posts on GTD/ZTD with my filofax.

    @ SNARLing - I agree, aikido is a real passion of mine & I love that a small female such as myself can redirect all that power easily without muscle strength. Nice to meet you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really enjoyed reading your post (& great taste in music!!!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to meet you Anita! This was a great introduction to another kindred spirit. Heh.

    So there's a minimalist contingent on Philofaxy! Anita, David, Gerard, and me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Four minimalists already - if any more show up it will be too many :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. heh heh gerald. you are funny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anita,

    thank you this very interesting interview. I always love to hear what people are doing besides the love for Filofax!!!

    And I can raise my hand for minimalism, as well. It is best proved by my having only three of them.

    I followed you on Twitter. Feel free to follow back, I will accept it immediatelly, since my tweets are (usually) protected).

    Kind regards and best wishes,
    Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to read your reader post Anita - will look up your blog. I'm also interested in shedding the load - just not sure where to start! I have Leo's books too! We all seem to have so much in common!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all your kind comments, you're all so lovely :)
    It's given me more ideas for blog posts about minimalism, GTD/ZTD for filofax & other bits.

    I have a confession... I recently bought a bargain A4 Identity on eBay for the rest of GTD paperwork that won't fit in my personal Malden. I'm really looking forward to all the space!

    ReplyDelete