30 November 2006

The Unbearable Thinness of a Year

I need to reread The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. It's been too long. It's one of the first books I read out of college. One of the first books I chose to read as an adult, not had to read. No matter how many years I use a Filofax, I'm amazed on a daily basis how little paper a year fits onto. Not a year's worth of thinking or feeling, but certainly a year's worth of doing. A year seems like so much more to us little humans.

This picture shows the entire thickness of a year in week-per-2-pages in a Personal-size Filofax. And yet, it is so much more. A single word written in a diary can capture 1 or 6 or 60 hours of emotion, of thought, of revelation.

How much more does one need?

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Nan. This is part of the reason I'm moving to Filofax--simplicity. Tired of wrestling with different Palm programs, tired of wrestling with the synching. What I loved about the Moleskine planner was it's simple (not adaptable, but simple.) Even the busiest among us shouldn't require complicated tools to put our time and lives in order. Yes, a year can fit into a moderate number of pages. That's a good thing.

    My A5 chocolate classic is due to arrive on Monday (ordered from pencity.com, it shipped the same day). I'm looking forward to getting it.

    ReplyDelete